Drakeshead Xmas Rose
24 December 1994 - 18 January 2009Our white labrador retriever, Rosie, who features in many of the photos on this site, passed away on 18 January. She will be much missed.
A tribute to Rosie can be found here.
Narrowboat Fulbourne was built for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd by Harland and Wolff of North Woolwich in 1937. Fulbourne is 71'6" long, 7'½" wide and draws about 3' when under way. The air draft is about 6'6" with the cratch in place.
After the canals were nationalised in 1948 Fulbourne passed into the ownership of the Docks and Inland Waterways Executive, forerunner of British Waterways, and in 1963 was sold into private ownership and converted to pleasure use. A new cabin was built in the hold, and the original back cabin removed to provide a large stern deck. In about 1968 the original National engine was replaced with an air-cooled Lister SR3.
The present owners have restored Fulbourne to near-original condition. The conversion cabin has been removed, and camping-style accommodation provided under the sheets, a new back cabin has been built and a National 2DM engine, similar to the original, has been installed.
Fulbourne travels widely over the British inland waterways system. This site includes photographs of some recent trips.